New Beginnings

This is a new beginning in a lot of ways. I began blogging about using iPads in my classroom in 2011, but let the blog fade away due to lack of time. I was working on my doctorate, and it was too much to maintain the blog.  With the doctorate completed, I am freed up to return to blogging. I'm also looking forward to the new school year and finding new ways to integrate technology into my classroom.

Philosophy toward Technology

My philosophy about technology use in the classroom is that it has to be easy to use, quick for my students to learn, flexible to adapt to my content, and offer more than just bells and whistles. Engagement is not enough. Students need to be engaged in the right thing at the right time. Too many apps are just bells and whistles without strong pedagogy behind them.

iPad Integrated Classroom

I have had a cart of iPads in my classroom since 2011 when the iPad 2 was released. There have been lots of challenges along the way as I struggled to use the devices in relevant ways, and dealt with the problems that using an iPad as a shared device.  In coming months, will post about my experiences, both joys and frustrations about using the devices.

BYOD

My struggle last year included how to incorporate BYOD and multiple devices with the cart of iPads. It was full of challenges I expect to have again this year, and I will blog about in the coming months.

LMS

Last year, I began learning to use the LMS Canvas, and am excited to build off what I started in the coming months. I will share my learning experiences using Canvas including my plans to use Mastery Paths for instruction in Government, Geography, and World History classes.

Personalized Learning with Technology

I also began personalizing my instruction.  Below is a photo from one classroom in which students were working off of a Tic Tac Toe choice card.  Thanks to Jimmy T for adding the caption!  I plan to build off my new skills this coming year and will blog about the experiences and feedback of my students on personalized learning.

Government Students Working with Choice Card

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Tech Tools I Like

Technology Based Tic Tac Toe Menu